Hi.ru virus: the dangers of using suspicious search engines
Once inside, Hi.ru will change your default search provider to search.tb.ask.com and your homepage will be set to home.tb.ask.com. However, before installing this app, you should carefully read all the information that is provided on its official website because some clues are provided there about the fact that My Television XP is going to modify web browser’s settings, including a default start page, search provider, and a new tab window. In fact, Hi.ru hijack has become a rather common problem recently. That is why you should not delay Hi.ru removal. Infected computers might run on Windows OS and Mac OS X.
You should be very careful while downloading anything from the Internet as many times you can avoid this type of infections. It allows users to access Yahoo Maps, Bing Maps, and Google Maps. SaferBrowser has certainly learned a few tricks over the years of business: In fact, they usually contain a couple of other malware programs. Our research shows that this browser hijacker might come as a payload of a dangerous Trojan. Because the search results shown to you look completely harmless – as they are shown to you via a Yahoo engine – you might not even understand interacting with the links that the developer of this hijacker was paid to promote.
How can Hi.ru Search hijack my computer?
The program can be infiltrated into Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browser. Of course, you can try manual removal but be aware that after removing it manually you may still see Hi.ru as your default search engine. Check if the program you want to install contains any additional programs that could be downloaded to your computer while installing the latter one. Unfortunately, Hi.ru does not have these documents, which suggests that there might be things it wants to hide from users. Beware that it is very likely Hi.ru virus will try to take you to unreliable websites where you can be convinced into purchasing something useless or even get your computer infected.
NOTE: As we have already mentioned, typically Hi.ru hijacks computers with the help of other freewares/sharewares. As the browser hijacker can be bundled with the freeware, you should always opt for Custom or Advanced installation settings. Don’t forget changing your homepage and default search engine. Everything is even more complicated if you use Chrome. Some versions of this virus install software that blocks browser settings from changing. Uncheck them without much consideration. Then manually by your own. Depending on the browser you are using, follow the instructions below:
How did the browser hijacker get on my PC?
Hi.ru virus does not seem to spread with one specific program. As far as we know it does not have an accompanying program or browser extension, so you should be able to Hi.ru it by changing the homepage and search engine addresses. It is also important that you make sure that there are no other infections on your computer if you want to use a secure PC. You should not stop now until you erase the last potentially harmful program from your system. When you are about to install new software, opt for “Custom” settings. It is not a secret that most computer users do not like reading long lines of Terms and Conditions.
- Hi.ru Shows commercial adverts
- Shows Fake Security Alerts, Pop-ups and Ads.
- Slows internet connection
- Changes user's homepage
- Installs itself without permissions
- Hi.ru Connects to the internet without your permission
- Common Hi.ru behavior and some other text emplaining som info related to behavior
- Redirect your browser to infected pages.
- Steals or uses your Confidential Data
- Modifies Desktop and Browser Settings.
- Integrates into the web browser via the Hi.ru browser extension
- Hi.ru Deactivates Installed Security Software.
- Distributes itself through pay-per-install or is bundled with third-party software.
Hi.ru effected Windows OS versions
- Windows 8 27%
- Windows 7 29%
- Windows Vista 7%
- Windows XP 37%
Warning, multiple anti-virus scanners have detected possible malware in Hi.ru.
|K7 AntiVirus||9.179.12403||Unwanted-Program ( 00454f261 )|
|VIPRE Antivirus||22702||Wajam (fs)|
Remove Hi.ru from Windows
Remove Hi.ru from Windows XP:
- Drag mouse cursor to the left of the Task Bar and click Start to open a menu.
- Open the Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove the undesirable application.
Remove Hi.ru from Windows Vista or Windows 7:
- Click the Start menu icon on the Task Bar and select Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a program and locate the undesirable application
- Right-click the application you want to delete and select Uninstall.
Remove Hi.ru from Windows 8:
- Right-click on the Metro UI screen, select All apps and then Control Panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program and right-click the application you want to delete.
- Select Uninstall.
Remove Hi.ru from Your Browsers
Remove Hi.ru from Internet Explorer
- Go for Alt+T and click on Internet Options.
- In this section, move to the 'Advanced' tab and then click on the 'Reset' button.
- Navigate to the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' → then to 'Delete personal settings' and press on 'Reset' option.
- After this, click on 'Close' and go for OK to have modifications saved.
- Click on the tabs Alt+T and go for Manage Add-ons. Move to Toolbars and Extensions and here, get rid of the unwanted extensions.
- Click on Search Providers and set any page as your new search tool.
Delete Hi.ru from Mozilla Firefox
- As you have your browser opened, type in about:addons in the shown URL field.
- Move through Extensions and Addons list, delete the items having something in common with Hi.ru (or those which you may find unfamiliar). If the extension is not provided by Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Oracle or Adobe, you should be almost sure you have to erase it.
- Then, reset Firefox by doing this: move to Firefox ->Help (Help in menu for OSX users) -> Troubleshooting Information. Finally,Reset Firefox.
Terminate Hi.ru from Chrome
- In the displayed URL field, type in chrome://extensions.
- Take a look at the provided extensions and take care of those which you find unnecessary (those related to Hi.ru) by deleting it. If you do not know whether one or another must be deleted once and for all, disable some of them temporarily.
- Then, restart Chrome.
- Optionally, you may type in chrome://settings in URL bar, move to Advanced settings, navigate to the bottom and choose Reset browser settings.